I have been lazy

Just for today that is.  During the week I have been getting up with OH and have not really had a lay in.  Needs must this morning as I was late to bed 2:00am.  I was awake reasonably early and then got my nose into my latest book. Poldark - the first book Ross Poldark.  Have never read them before and I am certainly enjoying this.  I have four in the series altogether and will top up the rest as I find them.



OH has been quite relieved that Poldark had finished.  Obviously I am not, and he therefore was a bit taken aback when watching the Hobbit last night to find Aiden Turner large as life  on the TV Screen - obviously different character. I had to chuckle to myself. However I do think that Mr Turner is a remarkably good actor.



Since getting up however, I have been pottering around, doing further cleaning, organising tea, doing a bit more shopping.  I have some washing to do and then I need to clear one of the fridges and strip it out.



We had a very nice piece of roast beef for tea.  Very tasty and I served it with carrot and swede mash, curly kale, peas, boiled potatoes roast onion and shallots and lashings of gravy and yorkie puddings.  Has gone down very nicely.  Served simply is often the best.



Its been overcast for the best part of the day - I have not really been cold although it is cooler and have been wondering around in my tee shirt sleeves all day.



Still loads to do and certainly loads still to do on the preserving front.  Must get myself organised.  OH is fishing this week so I may get my opportunity to get sorted quite a bit this week.



I have plans to make sweet chilli sauce, chilli jam, hot pepper jelly, chilli jelly, lemon jelly, orange jelly, apricot jelly.



I have plans to make salsa, tomato passata sauce, ketchup, brown sauce, blueberries in syrup, apple sauce, apple slices in syrup, peaches in syrup amongst plenty of other things.  Now that I am at home I can nip over to the veg shop and pick up on the bargains.  I plan to get into a routine first thing in the morning and try and make one or two things a day.  That way on I should be able to get other things done as well as stock my pantry.  I have an inkling we are going to need it this year.  



There are also lots of herbs and fruits to put up as well.  However I have to make a start somewhere.  I have decided that the cupboard under the stairs and the fireside cupboard are also going to be revamped for food storage as well as the pantry so that I have easy access to all my bottled items.



I have also decided that I am going to freeze up a stack of vegetables i.e. parsnips for roasting, home made carrot and swede crush, swede, whatever  I can so that good eating can be had through the winter months.  Especially with me now not working.  If I work for myself - I will still need to have good food to hand that can be achieved quickly and easily, so figuratively speaking it is going to be necessary.

Right am off to potter.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts