Christmas Plans for 2020

Please don't groan at mention of the C word so early on in 2020.  

Christmas 2019 has not gone as planned but like it or not I have been lucky enough to have a nice quiet Christmas just not as had been planned.  However the outcome is that some lessons have been learned along the way.  Namely that the house did not get done I am still a long way off achieving this but it is going to happen and next year my lovely decorations will get put up.  The biggest disappointment for me for Christmas 2019 as there are so many special treasures in the boxes.  

One of the biggest realisations for me is that I have always enjoyed the doing, the making which gives me much pleasure.  More pleasure than I had realised.  It is not only a ritual but a process whereby I can show my love for everyone and it is a big part of who I am.  I have also realised that it makes bonds stronger with loved ones both passed and with us.  With memories of days gone past and stories also being passed on to the younger generation which brings those elders to life.

I have also realised that all things such as Christmas cakes need to be iced and finished by the beginning of December.  There have been lots of events, excursions, Christmas Fayres that I have wanted to attend and have not been able to because of having too much to do or not having the pennies and not enough time and energy and scrabbling around last minute is not my way of doing things.

I have also realised that I want to get back to the simpler Christmas' of my past uncommercialized and where many presents were hand made.  In 2019 I was not able to do things due to cash flow.  However for Christmas 2020 there is a sealed savings tin into which every week a couple of pounds will find its way.  Not a fortune but something towards and the hope is that if I am more comfortable financially extra will go into the tine every now and then.  I may even have a go at putting some more items on ebay and then popping any earnings away for the same cause.  Just a thought.

I am also starting work on some projects to make Christmas presents - individual presents which I hope will be gratefully received.  I am also going to start crafting cards and gift tags for next Christmas and get those out of the way with. I intend to put them into a storage box alphabetically. I will also create address labels on the computer so that everything is together.  I had planned on doing this last year and had bought various dies and embossing plates as well as card stock with which to do this.  Sadly I did not get there but once I have my crafting space sorted I shall be getting a lot of this sort of stuff done and out of the way with.  If all the stuff is done, ready and prepared and waiting it is a lot easier to deal with than having to try and do things to a very tight deadline.

I have not been able to do much crafting due to my computer table being used as a stand for the TV.  In the New Year I intend to address this by getting that desk put into the back bedroom so that I can get all my crafting stuff in there but first I need to source a solid pine set of drawers to stand the TV on and also give us more room.  My computer will stay in there for the time being.  It will be good to get on without interruption once this has been achieved.  The sewing machines are noisy when operating them which upsets OH as he cannot hear very well at the best of times (he is going deaf).  The plus side of this small change will mean I will be able to concentrate and go off and do my own thing then when I want to and get moving on the craft front in a more considered and focused way.  

I am also saving up for relevant pieces of equipment as I go along even though sometimes it is taking me a little while.  I have recently bought a long patchwork ruler which I had been after for a while which I am chuffed about.  Little steps but I am very determined to get there and get sorted.

So although I know it is early yet to be talking about Christmas 2020 especially as we have only just had Christmas 2019 but I need to be more organised than I have been on many different levels to get things done how I want them and to get back to a more fulfilling way of celebrating Christmas.  Perhaps I am being the constant dreamer again but as I am slowing up as I am getting older it is sometimes taking me longer to tackle things than it used to do. So for me to get things done by the beginning of December 2020 will give me time to do the things I love doing, will let me celebrate the family traditions and also attend events and fayres that are going on as well as a Christmas Carol service.  I also aim to spend more time with family and close friends.  So there is going to be a major overhaul here this year one way or another.  I need to take control and get things sorted rather than being overwhelmed by what I have to face.  I intend to where I can do a room at a time, however in some instances there will be frequent cross-over due to items being stored where they should not be due to space restrictions.  This has caused part of the problem thus far.  

I had thought to put up the odd post here or there throughout the year about the things I am tackling or having a go at and a progress report of sorts. I thought that it might also encourage those of you who also want to have a go at doing a few things for the coming year and might inspire you. 

Christmas is something that is very special to me - I really do enjoy it that much and it is a time when I allow the inner child out to play.  I want to be able to have my family and friends in for a meal but I am a long way off at the moment.  However I am going to get there.  I now need to get into a routine and clear a lot more stuff out.  I am lucky in that I have so much lovely stuff but it needs to be used.  

I have lots of new things I want to have a go at.  Last year I started on the knitting which is a personal nemesis.  I am going to be having a finishing session on what I have knitted so far i.e. two neck shawls, and one long scarf. They are not perfect but I am learning and I have pulled some items down several times.  Trouble is I am not good at picking up stitches and sometimes end up pulling things all the way back down to the beginning. All my knits  all need finishing off and fringing so I shall do that a piece at a time.  I also have two pairs of socks and a pair of mittens to finish. I have started a multi-coloured jumper just on the rib at the moment, but will get the little projects out of the way before going on to make the mittens and the hat to match my scarf.  There are other projects on the knitting front that I have book-marked as well.  I am hoping to do some sets as Christmas presents as well.  So will see how we go.  So may well just knit the items and then show them on here when completed and keep everything in a big box and then decide who will be the recipient and then do individual wrapping at a later stage.  I have found my Bowdabra ribbon bow gadget and have found several tutorials on You Tube so I intend to make up a few batches of these as well.

I do intend to haunt the charity shops and the £ shops a little more than I have done and buy a few things here and there and then make my own present baskets up for gifts.  I shall keep a look out for lovely baskets in the charity shops in which to package some of them into as well.

This is my outline plan which no doubt will be amended time after time.  No real New Year Resolutions this year, just a sheer determination to make and prepare as much as I can for Christmas 2020 the way my family have always done celebrating and enjoying the season, the making, the doing, the loving in the way we know best.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I use a crochet hook to pick up dropped stitches in my knitting bag with a box containing my needle for sewing up the finished item, stitch markers, scissors etc. I then don’t have to go and look for one when I’ve got the knitting with the dropped stitch(es) precariously balanced. Just a thought x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennie and Happy New Year to you. Thank you for that little tip. I had not thought of that and I have some fine crochet hooks which would be ideal for this too. I also love the tip of having a little tin or box with the appropriate kit in it. Brilliant thank you. Hope you are keeping well Take care Tricia x

      Delete
  2. Hi!! Happy New Year to you lovely lady. There is so much opportunity ahead, a full year's worth of pages in a yet to be written book and all for the taking. Best of luck to you. I won't dwell on any negatives, only to congratulate you on taking steps to help get yourself sorted. I took am addressing similar things myself, looking to getting THE most organised year yet, which in turn means the most productive all being well. I hope to see you blogging regularly, even if it's mind dump stuff. I do get a lot from it :) Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy and Happy New Year to you too. For me Christmas is about making stuff, doing stuff and enjoying the moment. It celebrates special time with special people and even when they have passed replicating those customs and rituals somehow brings them back even if for only a short while. Christmas was always about prepping stuff for all the women in our family and we were encouraged to take part and do simple things as well. It may have only been something simple like picking the mint to make mint sauce or putting the mustard powder into an egg cup and then mixing it up to put on the table to accompany the roast beef. However, that is where we were started off and as we grew older we took over those tasks on automatic pilot. Our families grew food and we were richly encouraged to learn about and enjoy our food from a very early age. We always knew where most of our food came from which sadly still a lot of children have no idea about. Keep up the good work and hope you too get chance to do a little more blogging this year. You have something to bring to the table too. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts