A very useful little book or two

I have many books that I use when it comes to preserving or making things, which I work from at home.  However one of the most useful and one I go back to time and time again is a book that was available from Marks & Spencer.  They did a range of very useful books.  I am not quite sure how old the book is, but it does have a lot of useful recipes in and I think is an ideal book for beginners to use.  It has a lot of older recipes in.

The book is called Home Preserves by a lady called Jackie Burrow.  It is still available online and from some of the older book depositories.  It is a paperback cover and was when I initially bought it.



A link is here 


If you go to the bottom of the linked page you will see some of the other titles that were available in this series.  All of them extremely useful little books.

Another book I use a lot is the River Cottage series Preserves book by Pam Corbin.



I love this book to bits.

I also quite like the Dick and James Strawbridge books very useful as well.  There are books on veg, cheese, bread, preserves, curing and smoking very useful indeed.  They are a different take on many books and use recipes to get people started with some recipes on how to use the made ingredient.

What I do love to see though is the difference of approach and how people actually do things and I have picked up some very useful and quicker methods of doing things as a result.


There are many more books that I can recommend however these will do to start with.  I am a firm believer that if you have the recipe, you always have the ability to get on and have a go at things, especially if you have the ingredients in-house ready to go.

I prefer to have books, as they are more tactile and I have a one on one relationship with that book.  I have had a kindle in the past and spent out on several ebooks and lost the lot.  So I don't go anywhere near nowadays.  I don't have the same relationship with a kindle than I do a book.  Besides, if everything went down on the electric front I would not be able to access anyway.  Whereas a book, earns its place on my book shelf.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x



Comments

  1. The M&S book is my go to book for preserves too. I refer to the Pam Corbin one sometimes, but have had "failures" with that so not 100% impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, with Pam's book there is room for playing around with some of the recipes and coming up with something slightly different. However each to their own. I do love the M & S one. Hope you are okay. xx

      Delete
  2. Pam the Jam is great fun! I've lost my M&S one - published in the 80s I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, I like Pam's one. You can get a replacement one if you wanted on the Preserves they seemed to have a few in stock the other day xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts