A wander around some of the plants in my garden

This post is very photo heavy and is very much a visual post.  It is some four weeks ago since I started pottering in the garden with the plants, sorting out plants, re-potting them, saving them.  They are all now starting to flourish and I am pretty pleased with how things are coming along.

One of the Strawberry hangers I started off.  The plant was miniscule when I started.



The vine has grown a bit and so has the Nasturtium.


The Sage plants have also grown and spread a lot to what they were when I bought them two weeks ago.  They seem to be settling in.



The same with the Pinks.  One of these plants was near death and reduced in price when I purchased it.  However it seems to be picking up.  I shall use the petals for cooking, pot pourri and soap making.




When my Mum was alive I took a cutting of this which used to grow in the border outside of her front door.  I had about a hand full of plant to start with and have managed to increase it to these two containers.  It is a pretty plant - I think it may be a Campanula but am not too sure.  Hopefully will be able to expand it a bit more this year.



This Rosemary has only been recently planted but seems to have spread since being put in so I think it is happy with what I have provided.  I hope I manage to keep the two pots of Rosemary I have but I am not very good at keeping it.  I love to cook with it.  It is lovely with Roast Lamb and also in Foccacia, flavoured Rosemary Salt which is lovely with homemade chips.



One of my Wild Strawberry plants which is managing to collonate what was the herb bed along with the Grape Vine.








One of my larger Honeysuckles.  This is what is known as a Strawberry and Cream colourway but my favourite is the Lonicera Yellow and Cream.  The scent is sublime and reminds me of my childhood.



My Herb Planters which are down the outside of the Shed.  The first one is Garden Mint.


The second one is Flat Leaved Parsley.  Home made Parsley sauce is absolutely delicious especially if served with a piece of fresh Cod.


The Third one is full of Thyme.


The Fourth and Fifth one is full of Chives.  I am hoping to get the seed blossoms later in the season so that I can make some Thyme vinegar.




The Sixth one is full of a different Garden Mint that was saved from the Garden at the beginning of the season.


The Seventh one has Moss Curled Parsley.


All the Herb Planters apart from the Mint one that I saved from the garden are filled up with plants from the Waitrose fresh Herb section.  The plants are a fair size and vary between £1.50 to £2 per plant.  Because of the size of the plant this often works out a bit cheaper than buying from the Garden Centres.  Not always but around here this tends to be the case.  As I am primarily growing for using in my cooking, drying and freezing as well as flavouring vinegars etc, because of the larger plant size I get a running jump with producing  more herb for my money.  I was told supposedly you could not plant them like this but this is something I have been doing for about four or five years now.  It works for me.

Here is a photo of the full run of the Planters.



This is the tray of 30 plants that I have to do my hanging baskets once the greenhouses are up.  They are very pretty and I am very pleased with them.



Another Herb Planter, this time planted up with Basil (again from Waitrose).  Two planters here of fresh Basil  - I just love the scent -  they are destined to grow inside the greenhouse with the tomatoes. These have only been planted up about a day or so.


This is another Thyme planter.  It needs time to settle down and then it will be like the one towards the top of this post.



Another planter of Chives.



Butter nut Squash and Cucumber.


Lobelia and Gypsophila both grown from seed.


Some of my Tomato plants.


My Gherkins.  Some destined for the greenhouses the rest outside.




The bought Tomato plants.  Waiting to go into the greenhouse when it is put up.


More Tomato plants.




The Peas with the Marigolds.



Sweet peas in the corner.



Scarlet Emperor beans.


My Rhubarb coming through at long last.




The two Tayberry plants.  If you look at the top one you can see that it has set fruit.


A side view on of one of the growing houses which I use as a cold frame.


Two Courgettes  - Green ones.  Since this photo was taken another two plants are starting to show.



The recycled water bottles set with mixed leaves.



And finally my three baby Sunflowers are growing up and have got a right wriggle on during the past couple of days.

Still loads to do yet though.

Better get a wriggle on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts