An unexpected Trip

We are foodies and if we go out anywhere it is usually food orientated.  We had not planned on going to the fish man today or at least I hadn't but that is where we went.  We go to the small market town of Ramsey.

We had already decided to go to the bakery Peter's Bakery in Old Fletton, which has kept open all through the pandemic but complying with requirements.  This is an old fashioned bakery where the bread tastes really good especially the crispy white buns which is what we had gone to get together with some other bits and bobs.  On the way back home OH decided to do a detour and that is when we ended up in Ramsey.

OH went to the fish man today instead of me.  I had a Jack Russell firmly planted on my lap and she was not moving.  OH came back with some Crevettes, our Crabs, two Lemon Sole and two Skate Wings.  

Now we have an ongoing story with Skate, twice before we have bought it home and despite going to use it straight away both times it smelt of Ammonia and we could not face it and it ended up being chucked.  OH's Mum was particularly fond of Skate but neither of us had ever had this.

Today there was also a Free Range Egg Man from Manor Farm selling trays of 20 Hens eggs.  They also had Duck Eggs and I would quite liked to have tried these for eating and baking but OH reckons he does not like them so Hens eggs it was.

There is also a small Bakery in Ramsey Called the  Windmill Bakery.  OH nipped in and came out with a wholemeal tinned loaf.  I also espied a small Butchers but did not have time to go in to see what they had.  To tell you the truth I quite like doing my shopping in the old fashioned way as I come out with what I want and maybe a new item to try whereas when I go to a supermarket I usually end up with a few bits that I don't really need.

When we got back to the house OH set too and cooked the Skate Wings and they were not bad.  We would have them again for a change but there are more flavourful fish out there.  It was served with the brown wholemeal loaf which was lovely and nutty.  One of the things we have been doing with the fish man is trying different fish varieties.  We have our regulars that we like but it is good to mix it up a bit, and generally speaking the Skate does not make bad eating.  It is not a flaky fish, but you put your fork on the side and then pull it down the bones which removes the flesh.  

We are now both stuffed (well I am).  We have Crab, Crevettes and bread and butter for tea so all in all have done very well on the food front.  The Lemon Soul have made it into the freezer to be served up another day.

Well this will not do, I have things to do in the kitchen and I need to go into the garden as well as get some washing and drying sorted.

Right had better get on with it.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

Comments

Popular Posts