Knitting Project

A few posts back I indicated that I was working on a project that I did not want to disclose as I was not sure how I would get on with it.  Knitting is my Nemesis as I soon get bored with it.

I found a tutorial on You Tube for this rather lovely blanket/throw which is worked in what we call Moss Stitch and those in the States refer to as Seed Stitch.



Work has been slow, however I have been plodding on with the project, which is using some of my Mum's stash of Aran wool.  I am using a 6.5mm circular knitting needle with the wool, although I think the project uses larger needles.  I am not in a position where I could buy new needles and 6.5mm needles is the recommended size for Aran wool from what I can ascertain.

I have pulled a few rows down here and there, and my casting on leaves a lot to be desired.  I have been advised to try a smaller needle for the casting on in future so I will try that in another project.



I must say that it is incredibly nice to be able to pick up a project do a few rows and then be able to pick it up and pop it down where I can.  It is making me feel as though I am making the most of my time even only little bits of time, and creating something in the process.

I must say, that even now this partly knitted throw is incredibly warm.  It is spurring me on to get this finished and then start another one.  I am actually enjoying knitting this as I can either listen to something on You Tube with headphones, listen to the TV, whilst working away and also be able to retreat into my own thoughts and feelings whilst being productive.  It is a learning curve and a big thing for me as I have never knitted so much.  I have now knitted 23 inches of a 52 x 60 throw.  There is still a long way to go, but at this point I felt able to share, and hopefully inspire some of you to also have a go.  You definitely need circular needles though because of the amount of stitches that you need to cast on..  These have been a revelation to me also as I have never used one before, but I have found that I am able to knit a little quicker with it.




Here is where I am up to at present.  It is not perfect, but I am having a go.  I like to think that my mum would be pleased that her wool is being used by me and that I am actually knitting.  Knitting was always her favourite hobby but then she was very good at it.








With all this cold weather, I am thinking that I am going to need this sooner rather than later, but although my knitting speed has increased to what it was I am still not that fast and this is still going to take time to complete.  I do have plans to make more as I go along as well and I am actually enjoying the process, which has surprised me.

I have a large square basket in the front room which up until now I have used for crafty things.  However, I am thinking that it will make the perfect storage basket for a pile of throws.  Just got to keep the momentum up.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x





Comments

Popular Posts