Gardening

Wednesday 1 May 2024 May Day Beltane

It has been such a lovely day here (at the time of trying to type this it is May Day, Beltane, one of the most beautiful months of the year, but yet again I am May born and I have felt up to going out and starting to do a bit in the garden.  The garden has gone from wrack to ruin over the winter months.  Last year I got into the habit of going out for an hour or so of an evening and doing a bit.  I have so much other stuff going on as usual as well, and this gives me time to unravel, sink my fingers into the soil and just simply working away and being in the moment and in my own thoughts. I have seeds to sow and a greenhouse to sort out and I am therefore hoping that this Bank holiday weekend I will be able to get out and do quite a bit of work. Working with the magic of nature and hopefully nurturing seedlings, bringing them on encouraging them in order to grow some food. I went out about 6:30pm and did not get back in until 9:00pm.  I am gratefully supping a cup of tea. I now hurt but the exercise will do me some good.

Today I have weeded half of the herb border.  My Mint has taken wonderfully and I am thinking of taking more cuttings and popping some into planters as well. After all I want to make my dried Mint tea again and also some mint syrup and other dried mint for the herb cupboard particularly for coating Labneh(yogurt cheese).  I will probably do the other half of the herb border  on Thursday. I also need to sort the grapevine out and re-string this so hopefully will get that tackled in due course.  The Bay tree also needs a haircut.

I have also weeded and dug down one side of the patio and I have also restrung the string to try and stop the littlies from coming over and I have double strung this to attempt to do this. It is a start anyway.

Thursday 2 May 2024

It is Thursday. I hurt immensely all over after last night's efforts. It is however, another beautiful day. Warm and yes you have guessed it I have been out in the garden again. The soil was wet last night when I initially went over it with the spade.  When I went out this morning it had dried up an awful lot and so I therefore took the decision to go over it with the fork.  Glad I did as I managed to get rid of loads more hidden twitch.  I must say that the soil has improved an awful lot since last year and there are plenty of worms in it. Not bad on the tilth either.  I am going to be in the kitchen this afternoon as I have some washing to deal with.  However, my tea towels were not dry and so I had to wait on those before I could start.  I shall go out again for about an hour or two this evening and continue working as and where I can to try and bring the garden back to usable again.  It has been lovely and warm out there.

I get so cold outside in the winter months and my hands have been particularly bad this year.  My fingers have been going blue just by me walking into a room.  Yes we have the central heating on but this is a very cold house even in summer.  This therefore for me has been the earliest I have been able to get out this year, and to feel comfortable.  The pity of it is, is that I love gardening and would be out in all weathers if I could.  However one has to be sensible and practical (although it does not always sit comfortably with me as I have always been one to push boundaries.

I have just stopped for a well earned cup of tea before I go into the kitchen and start again.

Friday 3 May 2024

Friday, it is my birthday and I am 65.  Not quite sure how have got here, but it is arriving tomorrow.  Where has the time gone.  Inside I feel no different than when I was younger.  It is just the vessel i.e. the body which is not as cooperative these days despite wanting to do and get on with stuff.  I was always a Bull in the China shop, all in all but have to use different strategies these days.

So a very unfussy quiet and peaceful day where to tell you the truth I did not do very much at all. Had a nice simple tea of some smoked haddock and a couple of poached eggs, served with bread and butter an then strawberries and cream for afterwards.  Went down well.  Did not get into the garden because it went so cold.  Tomorrow it is then all being well.

Saturday 4 May 2024

Another chilled out day.  Towards the evening though I ventured out into the garden and have started again trying to clear the patio area which has become overwhelmed with weeds.  The right hand side border of the patio was cleared the other day. I dealt with the left hand side of the patio today as well. Still a long way to go, but at least am getting to things little by little.  There will have to be  a run to the tip before long, but I shall try and continue whilst the weather is fine until I can get it "all ship shape and Bristol fashion again".  I was out there for about three hours. I hurt again, and especially my hands this evening with pulling up the weeds. I also want to take advantage of the longer lighter evenings whilst I can.  Been cooped up in the house too much over winter.

Hopefully will be able to get a few seeds set tomorrow as well too.  Will see how things go.

Right off to put my feet up now am back in the fray of things.

Have a lovely evening wherever you are.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, I am pleased to be back. Keyboard was not working properly at all and have had to wait to get a new one. Hopefully normal service will continue. Hope you and Edwin are well. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts