A Little Autumn

I have been a little under the weather for the past few days.  The cold in particular has been upsetting my equilibrium and today in particular has not been brilliant.  It has therefore been a "duvet" day, where I have not been wrapped up in a duvet, but I have been wrapped up in warm clothing and have just been taking things easy.  However that does not stop the creative process and I am always plotting and planning things as I go along.  Sometimes accumulating items a little at a time in readiness for a final project.  It is the way I tend to work.  I often work several projects at one time, building them up bit by bit.

Although I decided overall that I was not going to implement Autumn decorating in the dining room in 2024 it has not stopped me acquiring one or two pieces in readiness for next year 2025 when I do intend to decorate.  

I already have a few small pieces and hope to add to these in the next year in preparedness for actually decorating. I already have some knitted mini pumpkins that I have made myself, and want to add some further decorations in the time between now and next year, which includes a multitude of crafts including sewing, gathering from the wild, crochet, painting, flower pressing etc.  

I am also hoping to get stuck in, in the garden next year and get a load of seeds planted and grown with a view to harvesting some useful food for preserving and fresh eating.  I missed not growing stuff this year, although I did receive a bonus crop from my grapevine which I am going to have to learn how to look after it.  I have no idea what variety that this is as the plant basically set itself from a forgotten plant.  It needs a bit of a haircut which I will do with the lengthier vines, however the proper haircut will come next February to March next year so I understand from friends who are diligent gardeners.  I just loved the colours of the leaves.  However the grapes although in tiny bunches are sweet and have made some very good fresh eating.






One of the things I have done over the years is that I have started off seasonal boxes in the house that I put items into. The biggest collection is of course Christmas and there are many boxes of Christmas decorations but will come to that in due course.  

I am very taken though with acquiring some autumn themed pottery items although when I went to look last week I was disappointed with the display in Primark there was hardly anything in the shop and I wanted to see the items before buying.  Although I think what they do have by way of a homeware department in the store is not very big (well the one in Peterborough).  The videos that I have seen with people decorating this year have shown much bigger departments in various stores throughout the country.  

I must say that I am particularly taken with pumpkin mugs, casseroles, soup bowls, candles etc as well as mushrooms and other wild autumnal nature related items.  I have also seen one or two items at George (online), The Range, Matalan and Dunhelm.  I am hopeful I will still be able to pick up one or two pieces.  I definitely need some candles and some mugs.

As I have two 6ft Welsh Dressers, I have ordered two garlands to drape across the top of each Dresser.  I have also ordered a longer garland to go on the table.  Also two candle ring holders and four Acorn battery operated string lights. I already have two sets of pumpkin lights, some Acorn measuring spoons and Cookie Cutters as well as home knitted pumpkins (miniature ones) and some decorative artificial pumpkins of a larger size and a Pumpkin themed wire wreath (probably more for Halloween) but which can still be encompassed into Autumn decorating.

I also would quite like to get hold of some ceramic Pumpkins from Hobbycraft that I can either paint or decorate with dried flowers in due course.  I have seen a couple of tutorials for both that I would quite like to have a go at in due course if I can get hold of the ceramic pumpkins.

I already have Poppy Dinnerware service an old J G Meakin design from the 70's called "Poppy".  The initial set was my wedding dinner service a set of six, and I have added to this as I have gone along. Not sure how many pieces have accumulated will have to dig it out although not sure where all of it is at the present.  Hopefully will find in the course of my sorting through the house. 




Strictly speaking, this design is probably more suited to the Celebration of Harvest, but these days this seems to be encompassed within the Autumn theme, with Thanksgiving incorporated into this.  I have always loved the design and the colours.  They were initially displayed on one of my pine dressers.  Then we have Remembrance day where indeed the Poppy is the symbol of this commemoration. Then Winter Solstice and Christmas. I think all the designs and colours blend into each other.  

When it comes to Solstice I think of Winter and wild animals.  A little of each design seems to get incorporated into each seasonal celebration. 

However, as I have a large collection of Christmas items I believe a separate post in relation to Christmas is in order.  I have lots of items that I am making or part-way through making in any event which are Christmas based as well and I am not sure that I will be able to accomplish that at the moment.  Where is that sewing machine lead and foot pedal!  Front bedroom me thinks.  Back in there in the next few days!

If perchance I get myself in a position to actually decorate the Dressers in the dining room will share.  However it may only be a few pieces this year.  Will see what happens.  A couple of bits have yet to arrive.

Have a lovely evening everyone.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts